Home    Units

53 Anti-Tank Battery

Return to WW2 artillery

Formed in August 1942 at Papakura mainly from an 8th Brigade troop from Fiji. Initially equipped with 2-pounder anti-tank guns, these were replaced in April 1943 with 6-pounders.

Original Commander: Maj AG Coulam
Original Composition:

  • Battery HQ
  • A Troop
  • B Troop
  • C Troop

Left at the end of Dec 42 for New Caledonia. The battery was split up in Aug 43 and the troops were attached to battalion combat teams: A Troop to 37th Bn, B Troop to 30th Bn, C Troop to 35th Bn.


  • Vella Lavella

Ref: "2 NZEF IP"